Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Paris: The Land of Massive Pigeons and Delicious Food


PART 1: The Journey
It took every ounce of me to work up the strength to board the 18-hour train ride from Valencia to Paris, but I did it. Sean and I embarked with delicious bocadillos in hand around 1:30 PM, and mentally prepared ourselves for our 8:30 AM arrival in Paris the next day. The ride wasn't nearly as bad as we'd expected (especially not for 9.75 euro price tag), and we got a kick out of watching "Yes Man" in Spanish.

View of the Spanish Countryside from the Train

Sean and His Delicious Bocadillo

We got into Cerbere (on the Spanish/French border) around 8PM and waited until 9:30 for the train from Cerbere to Paris, fearing for our lives all the while. Unheated, under renovation, and a home to hobos and crackheads, the Cerbere train station might actually be the most accurate representation of what Hell would be, should the Good Lord smite me and send me that way. Growing up in Georgia helped to cultivate a tolerance for the sweltering heat; therefore, I'm pretty sure that God sends Southerners to the icy tundra that is Cerbere instead of to the firey depths of Hell. We could handle that heat, y'all.

The train to Paris included lots of nappage and a desperate need for a shower. When we finally made it to Paris, Sean headed to Orleans and I made my way to the hostel in order to take said shower. But did I get it? No, of course not. Because that would imply that my life isn't actually a joke. And let's be honest. We all know it is. Instead of checking into my room and meeting up with Caroline and Brit, I was told to come back at 4PM. I managed to talk them into letting me use their 2x2 bathroom (we're talking smaller than an airplane baño) to change clothes... very reminiscent of that scene in Tommy Boy. You know the one.

PART 2: Paris Domination, Day 1

After meeting up with Caro and Brit, we headed to the Metro in search of the Eiffel Tower. With my mind compromised by lack of sleep and proper nourishment, I agreed to join them on a "Fat Tire" bike tour of the city. No matter that it was 30 degrees and 4-hours long. We are badasses. We do what we want. Led by Texans with a good sense of humor and willingness to share their warm clothes (thanks, Emma, for the hat), it was a fun time all-around. I should also mention that the Redhead from the Delta in-flight safety video was pedaling alongside us, and that she's actually a badass. "Smoking is not allowed..."

That's right.

After our bike tour, we made our way to Notre Dame to mingle with los Católicos. (That's Spanish for "the Catholics"). My last experience in the historic cathedral involved Mr. President (Bill Clinton) and his buddy (James Carville). This visit wasn't quite as action-packed, but it was nice to take in the scenery and light a candle for my bro.

Inside Notre Dame

I don't know who you are, Mr. Statue, but I like you.

A Candle for Bub

All of this culture was making us hungry, so we decided to stop in a really neat café in Bastille for a cheese plate. At 2 euro a person, we had our fill and headed on home to our hostel to meet Grace and plan our night.

Getting Towards Sunset in Paris

Café in Bastille with a Badass Cheese Plate

After some light nappage, we decided to book it to the Louvre for free student entry night. By the time we got there, it was only 30 minutes 'til close, but that didn't matter-- we were having a blast soaking in our "Night at the Museum" experience. Like any group of American tourists, we immediately headed to the Mona Lisa. Though you can't usually see her for the swarm of folks around her, we lucked out and found only 5 stragglers in the room with us. Realizing that it was close to closing time, we quickened our pace and made it out the door within 30 minutes. How's that for a quick tour?

The Louvre at night... This doesn't even look real!

Yours truly with some weird painting... I don't remember the name.

Straight out of "Night at the Museum"

Grubbin' with some pals at the Last Supper

Again, this doesn't even look real!
After the Louvre, we grabbed some dinner and passed out in our tiny little hostel beds. Boom!

PART 3: Paris Domination, Day 2

Sometimes, I wonder why I don't have Rick Steves' job. The amount of sites that we saw (and pounds that we gained) on Saturday easily broke his record, and I'd like to take the time to thank Caroline O'Neill, our own personal Magellan, for making that happen. Because I'm lazy, I'm going to illustrate our day (and maybe write a little, too) so that you can understand just how badass (and fatass) we are.

After wandering around the market in Bastille, we hopped the Metro to Sacre Coure. (Side note: I'm not kidding when I say 'hopped'. We came to find that jumping over the turnstiles when the desk guys aren't looking saves you 1.60 euro per jump. Parisians do it all the time and are eager to help American girls follow their lead. I like to call it an investment: for the 10 tickets I actually did pay for, I got about 25 rides out of those guys. Booyah, Paris!)

We took a few pictures in front of the church overlooking the city, and quickly decided that we were in need of some banana and nutella crepes. Montmart, the surrounding neighborhood, didn't let us down.

Crepes: A little gift from God to which 95% of our funds went

Después de enjoying our crepes, we continued to wander around Montmart, stopping mostly in bakeries to admire their delicious culinary creations.

Montmart Bakery #1

Montmart Bakery #2

We also ran into some precious little drummer boys

Following our Montmart adventure, we hopped the Metro to the Latin Quarter and then made our way to the Luxembourg Gardens, where I staked my claim for my wedding reception.

Luxembourg Gardens

After leaving the gardens, we ambled through St. Germain and made our way towards Shakespeare & Company, one of the coolest bookstores I've ever encountered. All the books were in English, which was a nice change from the usual Spanish that I've seen for the past 2 months. The walls were covered with book shelves and quotes-- I could have lived there.

Shakespeare & Co

The Stairwell

The Children's Section
After picking up a surprise for my sweet nephew and a little something for myself, we made our way to the Jewish Quarter in search of the best falafel I've ever had-- well worth the hour-long walk and hour-long wait. After falafel we decided we needed some coffee, and after coffee we decided that we needed a cupcake. Don't judge.

Next was a difficult hostel shower, a brief moment of being locked in a tiny, stupid, Parisian bathroom, and some delicious Mexican food with free margaritas (gotta love that sweet, Southern charm). After a Chimay Rouge at Polly Magoo's, we called it a night... and what a good night sleep it was.

PART 4: It's All a Haze

Sunday was spent wandering around Paris with Grace and Chelsea waiting to hop back on a train with Sean at 10PM that night. I remember that several crepes and coffees were involved, and that the train ride to Cerbere was characterized by lots of sleeping. When we got to Cerbere at 8AM the next morning, we were met by a legitimate blizzard, the same sketchy station, and a third wheel to Che Guevara and Fidel Castro. His dog's name was "Cuba" and he wore all camo, except for the bright orange Che shirt that he loved to show off. I was too tired to laugh. At 3:30 PM Monday, we made it home to Valencia, at which point I wrote down my most notable observations of the past weekend:

1.) Paris is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Valencia it is.
2.) French scares me
3.) My Spanish is a lot better than I think it is
4.) Parisian bathrooms are tiny and dangerous. Their locks are unpredictable and can lead to minor panic attacks.
5.) What mutant gene do their pigeons have? Those things are massive!
6.) (As asked by Brit, Grace and Caro) Why would anyone ever want to come to America? We have free refills and Stone Mountain. That's about it.

Yowzas, that was a long one!



1 comment:

  1. You went all the way to Paris and all you got was a couple stories, some extra poundage, and a Roald Dahl book? Man, wasted trip.

    ReplyDelete