Monday, January 28, 2013

What's for Dinner? Pesto Pasta with Goat Cheese and Roasted Tomatoes


While in college, I tried just about every pasta recipe in the book. A strict budget, tight schedule, and overwhelming appetite made pastas of all kinds my go-to meal. Typically, I'd make a large batch early in the week and heat up the leftovers (or not-- I love cold pasta) for other meals.

Now that I have my first big girl job, I find myself still turning to pasta for a quick and easy meal. Take a quick inventory of the pantry and fridge, throw a few things together, and voila! You've got yourself a meal.

This recipe has two parts-- roasted tomatoes and the pasta itself. Roasted tomatoes are a good staple to perfect, as they go well with gorgonzola to stuff portabellas, atop garlic toast, and as an addition to a winter soup.

This recipe serves three adults, or, in my case, two shameless and hungry adults.

Roasted Tomatoes
  • 3/4 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  •  2 tsp olive oil
  • 2-3 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • coarse salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
  3. Spread atop aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges begin to curl. Set aside.



Pasta

  • 12 oz angel hair pasta (note: any type of noodle will go well with this dish. I just happened to have only angel hair at the time).
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/3 cup pesto
  • 2.5 oz goat cheese (I used garlic and herb goat cheese because I love it and it was on sale at Publix)
  • 2 tsp coarse salt
  • Grated parmesan to garnish
  1. Depending on how long it takes your stove to boil, begin to boil water for noodles shortly after placing tomatoes in the oven. When water begins to boil, add pasta, olive oil, and coarse salt. Cook until tender (or al dente, whichever you prefer), about 8-10 minutes. Turn the stove off.
  2. Drain pasta, but save just a little bit of the water. When the pasta has been strained, put it back in the pot and return to the stove.
  3. Add pesto and mix well.
  4. Put the heat on low and begin to mix in the goat cheese. When it is thoroughly mixed, remove from heat and stir in tomatoes until just combined.
  5. Add parmesan and serve warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment