Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"UD" get a lot out of a decent grammar class (we can only hope).

There are a lot of things I don't understand in life-- the concept of platform shoes, die-hard reality TV fans, Hot Pockets (gross, but that's a different post for a different time)-- the list goes on. Perhaps one of the most baffling concepts among the list, though, is that of personalized license plates.

I just don't get it.

Sometimes they gross me out. And sometimes they just make me mad. As an example, I'll refer to an especially ridiculous personalized license plate that I had the misfortune of encountering while walking home from class today.

As the tool in the driver's seat of a wannabe swanky whip (strike number one) whizzed past me with a deafening roar-- the combination of bad rap music and the lack of a muffler-- (strike number two), I noticed the license plate carried a message:

"UDLOOSE" (I don't think I need to mention strike number three).

Wait, what? Really? Really? I'm going to take a guess here and assume that you meant for the caption to read, "You'd Lose", in which case I understand the need to shorten the first word to "UD", an abbreviation that's hellacious enough on its own, but must you spell "lose" wrong? I mean, really. Get it together. No one wants to drag race you, they want to drive behind you... so that they can snap a picture of your license plate with their phone and send it to all of their friends.

You lose.

2 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate D Breeze is no longer in our class as I am sure he would have astounding insight to this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.

    Of course, the driver is merely trying to create/define an identity for himself. We all do it -- shirts that have writing on them, groups we join, fashion, etc. For some reason, we all have a need to join, yet remain singular at the same time. Complicated. Just as we have multiple writerly voices and just as we behave differently with different groups of people (much as we might declare otherwise), we are products of our environments, our desires, unseen hegemonic forces. Becoming aware of how this all happens is part of the process of writing. Agree? Disagree?

    ReplyDelete