Monday, September 14, 2009

Kanye, You Pain Me.

I guess I picked a good year to start watching the VMAs, because clearly there exists a lot more drama in the pop music world than I ever knew about. Hosted by Russell I-Forgot-His-Last-Name (Who was this guy? Who gave him a mic?), the VMAs provided a solid 3 hours of procrastination for yours truly. Good thing I didn't end up canceling my cable this year.

Anyway, the real topic of this post revolves around Taylor Swift, precious little country singer of the universe, and Kanye West, the newly-crowned douchebag of the universe. In case you missed it, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6jpJYIC9w

In short, precious little country singer of the universe Taylor Swift beat out Beyoncé for best female music video (which, granted, probably shouldn't have happened), and while she was giving her googly-eyed acceptance speech, Kanye got on stage, took the mic from her, and said that Beyonce should have won.

Really, Kanye? Really?

That was a little aggressive. We all knew it was true, but why take the little girl's dream? Why not just let her win? Beyoncé went on to win best overall music video, anyway. During her acceptance speech, she proved to us all what a fine woman she is by calling Taylor Swift back on stage to have "her time to shine." Way to be, Beyoncé, way to be.

I think there exist several life lessons that we can learn from tonight's events:

-Kanye is a tool

-That Mother's favorite saying of, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" will always ring true (no matter how many Grammys you have)

-Beyoncé's gracious words make her a fine, fine woman

-I should really start listening to the radio more often, as I had never heard of half of the people I saw tonight.

I hope we can all agree.

2 comments:

  1. So what's your opinion on the decay of civility so evident in recent days? What role does the media play in all this? Are you any less civil in your daily interactions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait. you were writing this blog in september?!

    ReplyDelete