Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Livin' the Rough Life


Make no mistake, life here in Spain is tough. I wake up around 8, grab myself some free breakfast and a cafe con leche, and make the 25 minute trek to class. The journey is rough- I walk along cobblestone roads and marble sidewalks along the Rio under a perfect blue sky, and attend 1-2 mentally strenuous classes about culture, music, and film-- depending on my schedule.
The walk to class along the Rio.

My afternoons are spent siesta-ing and/or reading on the roof that overlooks my new hometown, working on my non-existent tan, and enjoying a soft, cool breeze. If I'm feeling adventurous, I sometimes choose to wander the previously-mentioned cobblestone streets, making my way through markets and maybe picking up a bocadilla (small sandwich) along the way. That is, if I didn't get enough to eat during my free lunch at the Rector Peset.

An afternoon siesta on the roof.

Sometimes during the afternoon we have these really awful, optional group adventures that we can go on to see all kinds of Valencian culture... for free. Occasionally I'll attend, if I'm feeling artsy, and go to museums that give us free posters of the art we've seen and buildings that are 3x older than America. Let me tell you, it's neither easy nor fun living in Spain!


Taken during a stroll along El Rio on our way to a museum


Sliding down a massive slide in El Rio

During the weekends, we are ALWAYS bored. Napping and drinking Sangria on the beach all day long is an absolute bust, especially when someone brings a soccer ball and we play pickup games, barefoot in the sand, 20 feet from the Mediterranean. The mountains in the distance don't look appealing at all, and we certainly don't plan on hiking them this Sunday. No way, that would mean Spain is bad ass, and let me tell you... it's not!


Hanging out on the Mediterranean


Outside of the Fallas Museum

The nightlife is also very uneventful. After another free meal (dinner) at the Rector Peset, pre-gaming with 89 cent bottles of wine really leaves a hole in my pocket. Additionally, the all-night dancing, karaoke, and kebab eating makes me wish I could just do some lawn work in Columbus, Georgia. Valencia is ugly at night, anyway, and has nothing on Athens' Wal-Mart.

Valencia after dark

Hating life, karaoke, and Heineken at Club Lala in Valencia

I don't even like these people!

So Mom and Dad, if you're reading this, punish me for all of my life's transgressions throughout the past 20 years and make me stay in Spain! It will teach me a lesson and how I should appreciate the finer things in life-- such as taking out the trash and spending more time with old people. Trust me... you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. It pains me to read this. It's obvious you're struggling with life these days. Maybe I need to come visit you and set you straight? You're leading a misguided life elmason. Get with it.

    Bisous/besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so that picture of you "dancing" definitely looks like it could be a knife fight between you and the guy in front of you. And since you can't see that guy's right hand and it look like you've just taken a stab between a few ribs, I'll just assume that's what happened. Good luck in Spain, I hope you heal quickly and have a chance to exact your revenge.

    ReplyDelete